Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sunday Morning



Sunday morning we get dressed for Church
like always.
I wear a floral smock and nylon pantyhose like mother would,
brush my curls in bold strokes like fell-
swoops. In the bristles are tumbleweed
knots from the hidden
parts of my wicked hair.

Down the hall, Father's door is open;
He stands in front of a mirror frowning at his other, red-faced, eyes
still shining from the night before. He weaves a long leather belt
into his dress pants like a snake, pulls it so tight that, for a moment,
I can't breathe.

At breakfast I look for the word of God in the alphabet
of our milk.

Thorny windows crown the tops of the church walls,
I think so God can look in
to see if our heads are down.

Sleepy boys sing slowly, hymns kiss
my eyelids closed and I begin
to dream,  hair spilling on the back of the pew, soft.

I think of Christopher from next-door and that tingle
below my belly when he held my hand. I see us on the swings,
pumping higher until I fall off, head lurching.

I wake up when my face smacks the Bible.
On the cross, a man looks at me in pain, his black eyes
say I have sinned.

Holy Father. Holy, holy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment